Monday, May 22, 2017

The Storm Breaks the Silence

Silence.
They say that’s what you need sometimes.
Silence.
Be quiet, then you’ll hear God.
But all I hear is
Silence.

I’ve been quiet,
I’ve slowed down,
Yet I sit here in complete
Silence.

Nothing, I hear nothing.
Unless you can hear
Silence.

Then I definitely hear
Silence.

It’s screaming and shouting.
It’s torturing me.
I blast the music louder.
I scream at God,
Begging Him to speak.

But the silence just screams right back.
“You’re all alone.”
“God isn’t here, He let you go.”
“He won’t help you now.”
“You’re worthless to Him.”
“You’ll never hear Him.”
“He doesn’t even hear you.”

Silence.
Silence.
Silence.

Then comes the wind.
Then comes the rain.
Then come the waves.

Like the disciples off at sea,
The storm is raging,
And it feels like Jesus is sleeping.

Just like the disciples doubted Jesus, here I am questioning.
“Jesus, don’t you care if I drown?”

Then comes more wind.
More rain.
More waves.

But I’ll take this storm over the silence any day.
Because above this hurricane of noise,
I hear Him say in a still, calm voice:

“Peace be still, my child.”

He was speaking to me.
He was speaking in the midst of the storm.
He was speaking through the storm.

“Quiet! Be still!”

No more wind.
No more rain.
No more waves.

Now I see the storm differently.
In the wind, Jesus is whispering.
Through the rain, Living Water is cleansing and satisfying.
Each wave is more and more of God’s love crashing over me.

The silence sparked a storm.
The storm broke the silence.
God spoke through the silence and the storm.


Jesus Calms the Storm- Mark 4:35-41

“That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, ‘Let us go over to the other side.’ Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, ‘Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?’

He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, ‘Quiet! Be still!’ Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

He said to his disciples, ‘Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?’

They were terrified and asked each other, ‘Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!’”

1 comment: