Monday, June 26, 2017

When Hope is Alive

“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” -1 Cor.15:58

When hope is alive, we try.

This past week I had what I was hoping to be my final doctor’s appointment for my knee post-op. I was hoping the doctor would clear me to at least get back to running and being able to do more physical activities. I was hoping he would say I could try playing volleyball again with a knee brace and even try tennis. I was actually expecting this.

But that isn’t quite how the appointment went. Instead, I was told I’d have to schedule another appointment in 5 months to check back in to see if I could get cleared. What bothered me the most is that I was told I probably shouldn’t take up running as a hobby anymore. I used to love going on runs in the summer, out in the country where no one is around. This was my peace and my own space to clear my head. So needless to say, being told I can’t run anymore was quite the disappointment. Running was something I have been waiting for and hoping for for so long. I’ve been rehabbing, training, and building my muscle back all for the purpose of running again and being able to do a lot of things I haven’t been cleared to do yet. Now that hope is gone.

But when I had that hope, it was easier to try. It gave me a reason to work hard, to endure through the pain, and to keep training because I had a purpose to do so. I was expecting something better.

As I reflect on this situation, I can’t help but compare this to other areas of my life. Specifically, my walk with Christ. Because I have hope in Christ and His redeeming work, I know I have a purpose…So what do I do? I try. I work to find and fulfill that purpose in His kingdom. If I didn’t have that hope, I would feel as if my purpose is gone. My desire to make something more of my life and my everyday actions would fade away. I wouldn’t have anything to truly look forward to at the end of my life.

It is amazing how powerful a hope in Christ is. Hope gives us a reason to try. Hope gives us a reason to not be afraid of the future. It gives us a reason to not be afraid of death. But even more so, it gives us a reason to live.

Wherever this blog finds you tonight, I pray that you cling to the hope found in Jesus Christ.
I pray you never forget that Jesus is one day coming back.
I pray that you never forget the sufferings you go through in this life aren’t purposeless.
I pray you remember your future is in the hands of an all-knowing God.
I pray you know and believe you have a reason to live.

I pray that you keep your hope alive, and you continue to try to live for our wonderful God as you share your hope with those who have none.

1 comment: