Monday, May 30, 2016

Give Generously

The act of giving is a blessing in itself. Whether it's giving financial support, encouragement, a helping hand, a listening ear, advice, or even just the time of day, giving is a blessing not only to others but to yourself. It's hard to see giving as a blessing, but this shows up multiple times in Scripture—“it is more blessed to give than receive" (Acts 20:35); "the righteous gives and spares not" (Proverbs 21:26); "give generously" (Deuteronomy 15:10).

 It isn't secret knowledge that God asks us to give.

Today we remember the brave men and women who gave their lives as a sacrifice for our freedom. They literally gave up their lives so we could live free, and often we take that for granted.

Oftentimes when it comes to our own lives we find it difficult to give.
I know I do. I love my free time, so when somebody needs my help with something, I definitely don't want to give them my time. I'm a broke college student so when it comes to financially giving to others in desperate need, I find it very difficult to give, even what I can. Giving typically doesn't come naturally.

Men and women have given their lives to protect our freedom. Jesus Christ gave the ultimate sacrifice to save our souls and give us life. God gave his own son as a sacrifice to bring us eternal life through Him. And I can't even find it in me to give a little time or money or whatever it is to someone who needs it?

I can guarantee there is someone in your life that is in need of something, and it is quite possible that you have exactly what they need. Are you going to be willing to give it to them?

This weekend I attended a memorial service for a man that lived his life this way...Constantly giving time, support, and whatever it was that people needed. He deeply impacted our community, because he lived a life focused on giving what he could to others, and not focused on what he could get.

This is the way God calls us to live. Give. Give. Give.
Give without thinking what benefits you're going to get out of it.
Give without holding a grudge.
Give without expecting something back.
 Give without question.

Because God gave His son so you would have the opportunity to live, and now you have the opportunity to give.

"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."
 -Winston Churchill


"I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare."
-C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts for today, as we remember those that gave their lives for our freedom. And Jesus gave all for us!

    ReplyDelete