Monday, June 6, 2016

Every Day Counts

I woke up this morning, and the last thing I wanted to do was workout. Normally, I enjoy working out and being active, but recently I just haven’t been feeling it. I’m tired of therapy and trying to get back into shape, all I want to do is play volleyball now. But I did my workout anyways; I did it because I want to play again. At the start of the season, I want to be on the court and not on the bench. I did my workout because I have a goal, and slacking off won’t get me there.
Sadly, sometimes I just don’t feel like taking the time out of my day to sit back and spend even just a little bit of time with God. But if where I want to be is closer to Jesus, it’s the days when I don’t want to spend time with God that matter the most. Personally, I’ve found that the most beneficial experiences I’ve had with God are when I am intentional, and I plan the time to be alone with Him. But how often do I really do that? Unfortunately, going through the motions is a piece of cake. It’s easy to go day to day, be a “good Christian” and stay away from the “big” sin. What isn’t easy is being intentional and really seeking out God.
It isn’t easy trying to spend time with God, because God often doesn’t seem to be here. But I wonder if maybe God is sitting somewhere waiting for me to show up, waiting to spend time with me. While I’m off doing my own thing, God is sitting down somewhere, hoping that I will make the intentional decision to meet Him there. I don’t want to be the person to stand God up, but I wonder how many times I already have….
Naturally, if someone gets stood up once, or at most two times, they’re done; they stop trying… Or if someone makes one or two mistakes, the other person gets ready to bounce…Because we live in a world where too often people give up on people.
God won’t ever give up on you.
If you stand God up, He’s not going to leave. He’s going to wait for you and He’s going to go to the spots where He knows you might run into Him.
“As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Joshua 1:5)
He isn’t going to give up and walk away, because He sees the best in you. He sees value and worth in you, and that one time you remember to meet up with God, pushes all those other times when you didn’t off the table. But if you aren’t intentional about seeking out God, it isn’t going to happen. Every second counts, every day matters, and every moment spent with God isn’t wasted. Growing closer to Jesus doesn’t happen when you live a good life and try to avoid the “big” sin, growing closer to Jesus happens when you show up to the places where He is waiting for you.
            Trust me, I know there are times when you really just don’t want to do it, but those times matter the most. You skip time with Jesus once, and slowly it seems to get easier and easier to keep skipping that time, and pretty soon God feels so distant that you start to forget about His goodness.. His mercy.. His kindness.. His promises.. and you start to see God in a warped view. So as hard as it seems, don’t skip a day. Don’t waste opportunities to learn more about who God is and what He can do in your life.
            “The Lord looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any

            who understand, any who seek God.” –Psalm 14:2

No comments:

Post a Comment