Monday, February 13, 2017

The Shepherd

Psalm 23English Standard Version (ESV)
The Lord Is My Shepherd
A Psalm of David.
23 
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.



The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

There are so many different names we have for God, but out of all them this one is one of my favorites—The Lord is my Shepherd. I used to really like thinking of God as my Shepherd because I always related that to Him guiding and protecting me. But recently I’ve been reading Psalms 23 over and over again and this idea has started to take on another meaning.

I think why I love it so much is because it reminds me that I don’t have to be in control. I’m not the one in charge. I don’t have to worry about everything spiraling out of control, because God is My Shepherd. He leads me beside still waters, and He restores my soul. He brings me to green pastures, where I have just enough if not more. He gives me what I need, and I have no reason to want. I lack nothing when I am a part of his flock. I have a safe resting place in Him, and at the end of the day that is all I need.

It’s a Monday, but I already know it’s going to be a very long week and I have a very busy schedule. But I also know that at the end of the day, My Shepherd will restore my soul, and provide just what I need to make it through each day. It is those quiet moments, even just the couple minutes a day even spent hanging out with the Shepherd that keep me going.

So whatever lies ahead for you this week, remember that Our Shepherd has a quiet and still place for you. Find that place and find rest. Let Him restore your soul.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

–Matthew 11:28-29

No comments:

Post a Comment