Monday, September 25, 2017

Rest and Reset

It has been a couple weeks since I have last posted. Getting used to the "teaching life" has taken quite a bit out of me, and it got to the point where I just needed to rest. I don't mean sleep, I don't even mean relax. I mean taking a moment to rest in the presence of Christ. The faster and busier life gets, the easier it is to slip away from spending those little moments with Christ. Yet, it is those little moments with Christ that seem to keep me going and moving forward when I go from one thing to the next in my day-to-day life.

I actually completely forgot to blog a couple weeks ago--and at first I felt guilty. I felt like I had failed at doing something for Christ that I've always felt led to do. But then I realized that I actually really needed the time off. I needed a chance to clear my head of all the little things on my mind from teaching and everything else. I needed a time to clear my head so I could refill it with God's Word. Then, I decided to take a second blog Monday off so I could just stop thinking of all the little things I had to do.

When doing something for the Kingdom starts to feel like a chore, it may be time to take a step back and reset.

I think this goes for anything in life. Even with teaching, there are days when I just want a break and everything seems so overwhelming. And on those days, I know that I need to find a moment to rest, reset, and ask God to fill me back up with a patient and serving heart like His.

As a teacher, it is very easy to notice when a student needs a chance to reset. Maybe they are frustrated and they need a quick break from their assignment. Maybe they are having trouble focusing and they need a chance to get some energy out. Whatever it may be, resetting a student's focus, attitude, or behavior is a common occurrence in the classroom. I've wondered if God looks down and nudges me to take a moment to reset my focus, my attitude, and my behavior in my relationship with Him.

If I've learned anything over the years of crazy schedules with working, practicing, classes and so on-- it is that being busy is hard and exhausting, but being busy without Jesus is worse. Tonight, I encourage you to take a moment to reset, refocus, and realign your heart and mind to His.

"Come near to God, and He will come near to you." -James 4:8

2 comments:

  1. This was so impacting and exactly what I needed to read today. Thank you so much!! I am always so encouraged by your heart for the Lord and how you are using your incredible talent of teaching and writing to empower the work of Christ. May God bless you richly for everything you are doing!! I hope that you are able to have many more moments to just rest, reset and focus on Christ.

    As a college freshman, this is EXACTLY what I needed to read today. It is so easy to get overwhelmed with homework, social lives, etc. etc., but I absolutely love how you summed up our real need for God in one sentence: "..Being busy is hard and exhausting, but being busy without Jesus is worse." Oh, how true you are!! Thank you so much for this truth and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete