Sunday, January 4, 2015

It's that time of the year again...

It’s January 4th, 2015 and I’m going strong… blog number 2.  
Because it’s still just barely 2015, guess what I’m going to write about… New Year’s resolutions. It's that time of the year again! 
Let’s get the elephant out of the room… Resolutions are a joke sometimes. It’s January 2nd and you’re still going strong. But then a couple days will go by, the willpower to stick with your resolution will fade, life will start moving faster, and pretty soon its February and you decide you’ll wait till next year to try again.
But why wait till next year? Does it have to be a resolution just for the year? How about, take it a day at a time. Wake up every morning, and set your mind on accomplishing a specific goal or a task. Use short term goals to accomplish your long term goals. Why wait for a new year, when every single day is a new day. Every morning we wake up, blessed to still be breathing and blessed to be given another chance to get something right, to try again, to fix a broken relationship, to do something for someone else, to become stronger than yesterday, and to live like it may be the last day you're alive. I don't think there are many people in this world that don't take life for granted. But in the big scheme of things, life is but a "vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away (James 4:14). I can't really control how long I live, but I can control how I choose to live the short vapor of a life that I do have. 
So, my goal for each and every day is based off of this quote by Jonathan Edwards.


I really couldn’t think of a better resolution for this time in my life. I’m out on my own for the first time, trying to figure out who I am, what I stand for, and what I believe. With every single choice I make, it is so important for me to remember that God is central. Not only is he central, but no matter what criticism I face, I’m going to be steadfast and unmovable in my faith. I know what I stand for, and no one else will change that.

But instead of this just being a long-term yearly basis kind of thing. This is an every morning, every day kind of thing. Each day, I’ll wake up with this attitude: “I will live for God.” After all, it’s his breath in my lungs, so who else would I live for?


                Now this may not be the resolution or goal for you, but that’s not a problem. It’s still January, and there is a new day tomorrow. So, why not come up with some goals now and you can start knocking em off your list tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and the day after that and etc. And hey, if you fail at reaching your goal tomorrow, remember that there is still about 360 days left this year to try again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment