Monday, October 26, 2015

The Minion Claw Machine

Yesterday I had an encounter with a "Minion"  'claw machine.' You know those machines that you put your money in and try to win a prize even though your chances are pretty slim..... It was one of those. 
I went to Walmart to get cash back to specifically use on this machine in an attempt to win a tiny stuffed minion. I had $5 and 5 chances.... But as you can imagine $5 later I had no success. I left that Walmart minionless.

It was pretty disappointing, with as much as I love minions. But now that I think about it, I basically threw $5 down the drain to try and win something that would probably sit on my shelf or my bed for a few months and serve no real purpose. 

But we do this all the time in life. We invest our time, money, and energy into worldly, sinful, and worthless things and we gain nothing real in return. Sin seems inviting and exciting, but the result leaves us empty handed and broken-hearted. 

I'll be honest, Kevin, Bob, and Stuart were calling my name from that machine. And I easily caved. How often does sin call your name and you give in? How often do you choose to invest your efforts into gaining worldly things rather than treasure in heaven? 

Matthew 16:26
"What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?" 

Proverbs 4:23
"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." 

Although we are completely saved by the grace and love of Christ, we are still called to guard our hearts and avoid the sins of the world. Temptation is everywhere, trying to get you to cave and give away your soul. 

So guard your heart and decide today and everyday how you will respond. 

Minions in claw machines may be screaming out your name, but it's up to you to choose how you will answer. 

2 comments: