Monday, December 21, 2015

Another blog about healing...

A lot can happen in a day. However, there are also many, many things that can't and won't happen in a day. This is yet another blog about healing, because I have to face it everyday: I'm still healing. Recovering from two knee surgeries and an infection simply will not happen in a day. Its been about four months since hurting my knee and I'm so over this recovery process. It is soooooo slow.
And I'm not a very patient person.
I'm tired of being limited in the activities and things I want to do and having to do things like physical therapy instead. But this following statement couldn't be more true:

Healing doesn't happen in a day and it doesn't always happen on its own.

There have been so many times when I haven't wanted to go to physical therapy or do all my exercises and stretching and icing and etc. I just want to start running and jumping and being able to play and be active again. I don't want to do all the slow and boring stuff. But if I ever want to play again, I don't have a choice.

What about you? Are there wounds in your life that you're refusing to let heal? Is there brokenness that you work on for a day and then put aside? I know I have my wounds that I put aside because it doesn't ever feel like they will really go away. It's hard to be patient and let the healing take its place. But you have to give God time to work healing in your life in the best way that He sees fit. It may take days or weeks or even months. You have to trust that God is healing you and be patient in his timing.

You also have to work with God. My physical therapist alone can't make my knee better if I don't do anything and put in the effort. In the same way, your wounds will be healed more effectively if you open up to the things God wants you to do. 

Another very important part of healing is actually allowing it to happen. Sometimes people are so stubborn. Although we say we want to be healed, our stubborn hearts don't open up to God's healing because we're afraid to be vulnerable and we're afraid of the pain that might arise when the wounds hidden within us resurface.

"Healing is a matter of time, but it is also sometimes a matter of opportunity."
-Hippocrates

Although Hippocrates may have been talking about physical healing, the same goes for emotional, spiritual, and internal healing. We have to allow healing to take time and we have open up our hearts to the healing opportunities God gives us. Don't hide your wounds and your scars and your pain. Because none of it is ever meaningless. Brokenness brings about beauty. 

This process looks different for every person because God works in uniquely different ways for every individual.
If you have to forgive someone to heal, then do it. Or maybe you're so caught up in guilt and shame and you're the one that needs forgiveness, then go find it. If you have to let go of something that has happened in your past, do it. If you have to reprioritize and seek God first to heal, do it. Maybe you just need to really have faith that God will heal you. Whatever it is that will open the door to the healing you need in your life, go do it. Stop wasting time sitting and sulking in pain and go make something happen. Chances are that this is going to take longer than you would like, but one thing for sure is that it won't happen at all if you don't do something about it.

My encouragement for you tonight is this: 

Everyone is broken in one way or another, at one point in time or another. And, a lot of people are hiding those wounds away. But the deeper you let the pain crawl away, the longer and more difficult it will become to get rid of completely. Let the wounds resurface and seek God's healing hand to determine what actions you may need to take in your life to let the wounds heal and the scars fade away. Also, you won't go through life's journey without acquiring some scars, but don't cover them up. Scars are beautiful, because they tell a story and they mean you battled and made it through something. It may even mean that God's healing hand touched your life to bind the brokenness and give you freedom from your wounds. 

Psalm 147:3
"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

Mark 5:34
"He said to her, 'Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.'"

1 comment:

  1. It's taken me a bit to comment, but oh how right you are! I'm sorry for your physical therapy, that sounds very frustrating, but I've enjoyed reading your post about how you dealt with it and how we can all apply it to our lives, no matter what we're recuperating from. Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the song, "Scars" by Jonny Diaz, but that is a great song with your exact message behind it. Thanks again for writing!!

    ReplyDelete