Monday, January 18, 2016

Questions and Choices

Are you asking the right questions? People always say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but maybe it's possible that we aren't asking the right questions. Maybe we avoid certain questions because we aren't prepared for the answers. We're scared to get answers that might shine painful truth on the choices we make.

Entering my second semester of my sophomore year, I've made some pretty big decisions in my life. One of those decisions was making the personal commitment to not drink till I actually turn 21. Let's be honest, for college students, even Christian college students, this is not a huge norm.
I made this decision a long time ago, way before I even started college, but I didn't realize how difficult it might be to stick with it. There are definitely times when I wonder what is even the point of my decision.

But that wondering ends when I start asking the right questions. The problem with the way our minds often work is that we tend to ask questions so that we get the answers we want.

What's so bad about drinking before you're 21? A couple years won't make a difference right?
Honestly, a couple years doesn't make a big difference and it isn't my place to judge anyone on their own choices and what they decide is best for them anyways.The point is when it comes to decisions there is a better kind of question.
Instead of asking what's so bad about this? Or, what's wrong with this?
Ask, how is this glorifying God? How is this helping me grow closer to Christ?

One of the most common Bible verses is,


"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." -1 Corinthians 10:31


We say it all the time. 
But is it really on our minds when it comes to the choices we make?
How are the choices you make glorifying God? 

How is not forgiving someone allowing you to grow closer to Christ?
How is going out and getting drunk glorifying God?
How is cheating on a test bringing glory to Him?
How is holding a grudge glorifying God?

How are the choices you make helping you in your walk with Christ?


Trust me, I know it's hard. I understand peer pressure. I understand wanting to have fun. I understand sometimes it's hard to know what's really good for us. Really though, if it isn't glorifying God it probably isn't good for us. That's the bottom line. But that's also the line we tend to skim over in our minds. We push it to the back and file it away, and only bring out the thought when it seems convenient. Convenience is a lie. We think convenience is good for us, but sometimes convenience gets in the way of serving the one true God.
Don't make decisions based on convenience. Make decisions based on what is glorifying the God that gave you this freedom in the first place. 

Living life anchored in Christ means basing your choices on what it will take to grow closer to Him. 

4 comments:

  1. I sincerely apologize for only commenting now, when I've read your posts the day they were posted and I've been thinking if them ever since. Sorry.

    Wow, this was SO stirring and encouraging to me! May I first of all just commend you for deciding not to drink until you're 21--and sticking with it! I know how that can be incredibly difficult to stick to things the world doesn't agree on (Which, for us Christians, has to be alot.) I also have made the commitment to not kiss or seriously associate with guys until I'm ready to get married (and first kiss on my wedding day). It has been a huge battle, but it was so easy to relate to it in your post here and get a whole new insight into it. Wow, it really blew me away and leaves me with more and more the more I read it. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU!!

    I will keep you in prayer, and may all your commitments be as steadfast as you've held yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Just wanted to also add, that I was in a valley in my commitment when I first read your post. I was feeling pressured to just give in, go date some guys, kiss if we feel like it, and just let it go, but your post REALLY encouraged me to stay strong and never let me take those questions seriously, when they are the wrong questions. Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Just wanted to also add, that I was in a valley in my commitment when I first read your post. I was feeling pressured to just give in, go date some guys, kiss if we feel like it, and just let it go, but your post REALLY encouraged me to stay strong and never let me take those questions seriously, when they are the wrong questions. Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sincerely apologize for only commenting now, when I've read your posts the day they were posted and I've been thinking if them ever since. Sorry.

    Wow, this was SO stirring and encouraging to me! May I first of all just commend you for deciding not to drink until you're 21--and sticking with it! I know how that can be incredibly difficult to stick to things the world doesn't agree on (Which, for us Christians, has to be alot.) I also have made the commitment to not kiss or seriously associate with guys until I'm ready to get married (and first kiss on my wedding day). It has been a huge battle, but it was so easy to relate to it in your post here and get a whole new insight into it. Wow, it really blew me away and leaves me with more and more the more I read it. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU!!

    I will keep you in prayer, and may all your commitments be as steadfast as you've held yours!

    ReplyDelete