Monday, July 27, 2015

Forks in the Road

It has been a pretty crazy week for me. I encountered some big unexpected events, to say the least. And although I don't believe that most of it was fair, I have to believe that God is in control.
Two weeks ago I would've told you with confidence what my plans were for at least the next year, but now all of sudden I have absolutely no clue. I've reached a fork in the road, and I'm not sure what my next step is. I know I can't be the only one. If I were to ask you if you've ever felt or if maybe you are even currently feeling very overwhelmed by difficult decisions, I'm guessing the answer would be yes.
Part of what makes many life decisions so difficult is that I really want to go and do and be where God wants me. Honestly, how can I really even be sure?
However, maybe sometimes we look at the big picture too small.
Maybe God has a specific place He wants you to be, or maybe He wants you to serve him right where you are. Perhaps we focus too much on the when and the where, instead of just doing and being where God has us in the moment.
A year ago, for some odd reason I thought I had the rest of my life almost figured out.... Strangely enough, I didn't. And I never will.
In Proverbs 3, it says that if we acknowledge God, He will set out a straight path for us. I don’t think this necessarily means it’s going to be a completely straight or easy path. I think it just means that when we choose to follow God, He will clear those paths alongside us. Those paths could have quite a few forks in the road along with masses of questions. Actually, even a life without God comes with questions and confusion. The difference is that when you follow God's path, the destination comes with a much better reward. Even the journey has continuous rewards and benefits along the way. As you take the steps to follow God’s path, He will straighten it out as you go.
 I personally get so caught up in my future and what steps God wants me to take, that I’m not living in the current moment for Him. If I spend right now taking small steps to serve God, and then continue to do so every day, then my future inevitably does involve serving and following God—No matter where I am.
One of my very first blogs, “Wondering about Wandering,” was on this same topic. If you didn’t get a chance to read it, you can check it out here: http://pocketfulofpooty.blogspot.com/2015/01/wondering-about-wandering.html
 The ultimate truth is that I’m obviously still wondering about wandering and I will be for the rest of my life. But by the grace of God, I never have to wonder that God is with me here in this moment. I never have to wonder where my final destination is. I never have to wonder that God is going down the path with me.
As painful as it is for me to say it, embrace the forks in the road. Perhaps the fork in the road is a wake-up call. Or God is trying to reach out to you. These forks are simply just more opportunities and doors that God has decided to open up for you. So embrace those forks, and explore the doors that God has opened, but don’t forget that you can choose to follow God wherever you are right here in this moment.

“And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.” –Isaiah 30:20-21

2 comments:

  1. I loved how you expressed your feelings of the week in this blog. Very true words. The bottom line ; we have to trust God with our future and HIS "big plan" for us ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. To encounter a fork in the road I must say is the most trying moment for anyone. Especially if a choice between equally good or equally uncertain things.

    Your faith is admirable.

    ReplyDelete