Monday, September 14, 2015

It's not about me

I remember a couple days after my surgery, I was at breakfast and I saw a man walk by with a prosthetic leg. Yes he was walking, but he did not have his real leg and I can't even imagine the struggles he has been through.
It's a bummer not being able to walk, it really truly is. But I still have both my legs and will be able to walk again soon....                        

So as I sat there and watched him go about getting his breakfast, I couldn't feel sorry for myself. I actually felt guilty for ever feeling sorry for myself. 

It's kind of like how people go on mission trips out of the country or somewhere and come back feeling so fortunate and blessed for all they have. 
Suddenly I can't walk, and I realize how walking seemed like such a small thing; but it's actually huge. Something so simple, I've taken for granted my entire life. 
Even the ability to play volleyball is something I've often taken for granted. 

I'll admit that I complain about my situation way more than I should. 
And when I saw that man who had no leg, I realized exactly how selfish I can be.
If I look outward and take the focus off myself, suddenly not being able to walk 4-6 weeks or play volleyball for a season doesn't seem so terrible. 

Imagine how much of a blessing you could be to someone if you just start looking. 
We focus so much on our own problems, that homeless people are dying, children are without homes, people leave the church feeling judged, someone hides their depression day after day, etc. 

As simple as it sounds, forget about your own problems and invest outwards. Life is never going to be about me. Ever. 

"Consider others as more important than yourself." -Philippians 2:3

Jesus' ministry was focused entirely outward. Everything He did was for others. So as followers of Christ, ask yourself how much time you spend focused on yourself? Then, how much time do you invest in the lives of others? 
And if you don't like the answers to those questions, like me, then it's time to make a change. 

1 comment: