Monday, October 17, 2016

Sometimes He Takes Away

            Our God is a God who blesses us abundantly, often with things we take for granted. But, our God is a God who also takes away. Not out of spite or hate or for His pleasure, but for our good or whatever other reason to ultimately accomplish His purpose.
This week, something I love very dearly was taken away from me. Am I questioning what God is doing in my life? Very much so. But I also am clinging onto the hope that He knows what He’s doing, and better things are yet to come.
I immediately think of Job whenever I start questioning what God is doing. When push comes to shove, will I still bless the name of the Lord? When for whatever reason God takes away something I wish He wouldn’t, will I still bless the name of the Lord? I honestly don’t know yet if I will, but I hope and pray to find the strength to do so like Job somehow did.

“The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” Job 1:21

            If we expect God to bless us, we also have to expect that sometimes He has to take away. Loving God doesn’t mean He gives us everything we want when we want it; but it does mean He gives us everything we need when we need it. Unfortunately, if our hearts aren’t aligned to His Word and His promises, we don’t understand what it is we need.

            As you read this, you may be in a very different place than I am. If you feel like the blessings are pouring down, I encourage you to send the praises up. However, I also encourage you to build up faith for when God takes away. But if you’re where I’m at and feel like God is taking away, embrace the truth in His Word that He is only doing it for your good. For God gives, but He also takes away…But in all circumstances—blessed be the name of the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Dearest, dearest Brooklyn I am SO sorry for you! I also lost a dear friend of mine this past July way before his time. It's been a difficult couple of months and I lately have been reminded of him often, but your post has been SOOO encouraging and I pray from it others may be encouraged as I was. I also pray that you may come out of this with a firmer trust in the Lord and may soon say boldly as Job did, "Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. When God closes a door, He opens a window....or another door, or maybe even a gate. Look for it. You are uniquely you....and your path is fresh. He leads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes.
    Thanks for sharing these words.

    elissa // letters-to-jayna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete