Monday, May 25, 2015

To Change the World

For as long as I can remember, I've always had a desire to "change the world." I didn't just want to do little things, I wanted to make a visible difference. As I've grown older, I've had to become a little bit more realistic. Am I, all by myself, capable of changing the world??? Most likely not. But this doesn't mean I don't have the ability to make an impact on individual lives.
Luke 15 contains parables of the lost coin, the prodigal son, and the lost sheep.
“‘So he told them this parable: ‘What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.’” Luke 15:3-5
When the shepherd lost just one sheep from the whole flock, he still went and looked till he found it. That one sheep still mattered to the shepherd. So if I can just find one lost sheep and bring them into the flock, then I am making a difference in the kingdom. Although I may not be able (or be called) to effectively make a huge impact on the world, I can still make a huge impact on a single life that is just as important.
We have to realize that the little things do count. Every word that you say and every action you take has the potential to either positively or negatively influence someone's life. Jesus already changed the world for forever when He came to this earth, but it is our role as his disciples to share the news of his world-changing sacrifice. And maybe you don't have the opportunity to do large-scale ministry in the kingdom, but the small seeds you plant in someone's life for the glory of God are just as important. It's not always about the results, the grand number of people saved, or making large scale impacts. Every single life is valuable, and if you can shine God's light in just one life, you have changed the world for them. 

“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” –Mother Teresa 

No comments:

Post a Comment