Monday, August 24, 2015

Nothing A Knee Can't Teach Me

What a month. Or maybe I'll just cut it down to this past week. What a week. As many of you probably know, a couple weeks ago I hurt my knee during our first week of volleyball practice. At first, it seemed like it was just sprained and would only take a little time to heal. But after a visit to the doctor, things weren't looking too good. It wasn't until after an MRI and a phone call with the doctor that I suddenly had to picture at least the next 6 months of my life differently. Not only did I tear my meniscus as they had suspected before the MRI, but I also tore my ACL. As of currently, my ACL is rolled up in a ball. Now, instead of being out on the court playing with my teammates, I will be having surgery and then spending the rest of this season cheering my teammates on from the bench while I work to rehab and get my knee ready for next season.
With as much support and encouragement I've received, I have to be honest and I'm still going to say it sucks. I hate watching practices when I know I could be on the court pushing myself to get better. I also am not a huge fan of sitting on the bench and knowing there's no chance I'll even get to step a foot on the court during a game this season. I hate hobbling around trying to get to classes and walking up stairs slowly but surely. I hate feeling weak and having to have people hold the door open for me when I'm on crutches or having people carry all my stuff. None of this situation seems ideal.
But maybe it is ideal. I don't know if I'm being tested, what the reason is for all this, or what God is telling me. But I do plan on figuring it out.
Coincidence or God's timing or whatever it may be, last week I wrote about how life can be so hard at times, but that ultimately God is good and that triumphs over everything.
It was 2 days after I wrote that blog that I found out about my knee. Now I know there are far worse things that could’ve happened to me and I know there are far worse things going on all around the world; but it was kind of like God was saying, “Alright, you said it, now let’s see if you really believe it.” Through the pain, through the struggle, through the hobbling around, during surgery, after surgery, while I’m warming the bench, while I’m working on physical therapy and etc.: God is still good.
To be honest, I was hoping that after a few days of taking in my situation, I would have more of a lesson, something cool to share, or just anything to blog about. But I really, truly don’t. Not yet anyways. But I’m guessing that lesson is coming. Because playing volleyball has been a huge part of my life for so long, I’m anxious but ready to see what I might learn about myself and about who God is during these next few months while I’m unable to play.
So with all that in mind, I would like to say thanks for all the prayers and encouragement as I know that the next few months won’t come easy. But, I also would like to say, stay tuned! Because I really truly believe that God is going to work some mighty things in all of this. And hey, maybe that could be a mini lesson to you. Something that I’m sure you’ve heard before but will probably hear again, God will work through the hard times. Don’t fear the darkness, because the light at the end of the tunnel is coming.

“He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." –Isaiah 40:29-31 

2 comments:

  1. Love you Brooke I'm right there with you 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we're in this one together! 💛

      Delete