Monday, August 31, 2015

The Giant

With so many thoughts racing around
Darkness is trying to push me to the ground
The battle is persisting but I'm not alone
The giant in front of me laughs at my stone
But he doesn't realize and he doesn't see 
I'm not facing him alone

Screaming out the storm taunts me
Darkness rolling in
The valley seems to be getting wider 
Troubles piling on once again
Looking back on the past
To the brighter easy days
I wish they were here now
I struggle to find words as I pray:

"God can't you see me?
Where did you go?
Why'd you leave?
What did I do wrong?
Why is this happening to me?"

Waiting for a response
Silence it is
Waiting for a response
But silence persists

"God, where have you gone?
Why'd you leave me here alone?
The giant is getting closer
And he's laughing at my stone
I can't face him by myself
Please won't you help?"

Unresponsive again
Unresponsive it seems
Silence again
Is He even listening?

"God are you there?
I'm really really trying
But I can't see you or hear you and my hope is slowly dying"

Day after day goes by slowly
The light grows darker
Chaos grows stronger
The giant grows bigger
The stone in my hand feels smaller

Still wondering where God is
He was there back then
Where is He now?

I start to think this is it for me.
I'll just toss my stone aside
I'm about to give in completely 
The dark thought races in my mind

I turn back towards the giant
With the stone in my hand
But something has changed now
The giant is silent which is strange for him

I look and I look
As I take in the scene
I thought the giant was big
But look at how small he is now
As he stands in the palm of God's hand

The whole time I was afraid
And angry and confused
The whole time I was waiting
For God to come through
He was really right there
Just waiting for me
To open my eyes and actually see
The giant is in God's hand
And there's no way he can get to me

God was listening
He has always been
He won't leave me now
He never left me then

With the giant in God's hand
And a small stone in mine
There's no way he can beat me
Not when God's on my side

***

Exodus 14:14
"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." 

3 comments:

  1. Takes me back to Israel and the Valley of Elah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my..This was so lovely to read!!!! What a wonderful picture to know that the "Giants" we face also submit to our God!!!

    ReplyDelete