Monday, August 1, 2016

"Father, Forgive Them"

Forgiveness only works if we throw our grudges away.
To forgive someone doesn't mean you say that whatever they did was okay, it doesn't mean you accept their actions, it doesn't mean you agree with what they did.
It means you value them more than the small fight, more than the hateful words, more than the wound they caused you.

"I'll forgive her but I'm not going to be her friend anymore."
"I'll forgive him but I'm not going to talk to him for a week."
"I'll forgive them but they deserve what's coming to them."

Forgiveness isn't these things. Forgiveness doesn't come with conditions.

When Christ died on the cross He didn't say, "Well your sins are forgiven but that really hurt me so stay away from me for awhile."
In fact, on the cross Jesus said this, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34)

There are no ifs, ands, or buts. Our sins were forgiven. Jesus understood we are sinners, but He saw a place for reconciliation in that. If a blameless man who experienced the worst pain in order to save the lives of murders, thieves, idolaters, liars, cheaters, and you and me, can't we find the strength somewhere in our hearts to forgive those who have wronged us?

Forgive and forget means to let it go. I can't count the number of times I've seen great friendships and relationships fall apart simply because both sides of the argument were stubborn. We're human. We hold grudges. But let me remind you that Christ holds no grudge against us and it's our sin that nailed Him to the cross and left Him to die.

To be like Christ means to forgive like Christ.


Forgiveness is hard. It's one of the most difficult things you may ever have to do. But it's also one of the most rewarding things you may ever do, to just let something go and let God's justice and grace take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment