Monday, August 8, 2016

Living Water Flowing

Many people have verses, quotes, symbols, or words that mean a lot to them, for many various reasons. "Living Water" is that symbol for me.

Mayim Hiyim- Living Water Flowing

This summer I got this phrase tattooed on my ankle in Hebrew. I've been wanting to get it for a couple years now ever since I went to Israel.

In the book of John, there is a story of Jesus asking a Samaritan woman for water at Jacob's Well. This sparked up quite the conversation. Jesus tells the woman if only she really knew who He was, she would have been the one asking Him for water. The woman then asked Jesus how it could be that He could even offer her any water when He had nothing to draw water from the well with in the first place.

This is the question Jesus had been waiting for. For Him the answer was simple because it wasn't the water from the world that He was offering her.

“Jesus said to her, 'Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'"
‭‭John‬ ‭4:13-14‬ ‭ESV‬‬

The only reason I am ever dissatisfied with my life is because I look to fulfill my emptiness in the wrong places.
Especially as of lately, I have been feeling so empty and incomplete. But I've only been feeling this way because I've been tricked into thinking the world has so much to offer, and it's those things that will complete me.
But it's never enough. It doesn't matter how many friends I have, how much money I make, what I go to school for, what my career choice is, where I live, who I talk to, etc.

What the world has to give me will never be enough.

You may never be fully satisfied with your job and career choice. You may never be fully satisfied with your wealth. You may never be fully satisfied with your friendships and relationships. You may never be fully satisfied with where you live.
There's always going to be something else the world can give us that we're bound to want.

That's why so many people at the end of the day are left feeling dissatisfied, empty, or incomplete. We want all the things we don't really need, and we don't truly accept the one thing we desperately need.

So we're left in a place with hollow hearts. Dissatisfied.
Empty.
Lonely.
Broken.
Always longing for something.
Thirsty for something more.

But it doesn't have to be that way. When we allow Christ to complete us, those empty spaces begin to fill up. The gaps are filled in. When we go to Christ for Living Water, rather than anything the world can offer, our thirst will finally be satisfied.

“O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭63:1‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Our God is Living Water. He is the only thing that will fully satisfy our hearts in unexplainable ways.

If this sounds like a load of Bologna to you, I encourage you to just try this out. At any moment of the day that you feel dissatisfied with anything in your life, give it up to God. Pull out your phone and read the verse of the day on your Bible App. Grab a Bible, flip it open, and just start reading. Turn on the Christian radio station and let God speak. Go spend some time outside, without technology or any distractions, and just be open to what God could do in your life if you let Him.

Trust me, I know it sounds ridiculous that these things could possibly lead to filling in the gaps in your life. But if you've hit a point where you continuously wonder what else it is you need in order to feel a little more put together, what's the harm in trying?

Jesus is offering you so much more than what you're getting from the world. Let Him fill you. It will be the best life decision you've ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment